Conceited Independence

"I do not think it worth while to wait for enjoyment until there is some real opportunity for it." Jane Austen

Click here for my profile.

Monday, November 15, 2004

Thanksgiving

My whole family is coming for Thanksgiving this year. It started with my sister, her husband, and my nephew. They decided to come up because the rest of the family had plans, and they knew we wouldn't be able to leave Portland. This triggered a domino effect. Soon my other sister and her husband thought Portland sounded like a fun place to have Thanksgiving so they re-arranged their plans. Then my parents and younger brother decided they could make some new plans so that they could join in the fun too. We are going to have a "house" full. (Well, actually a tiny apartment full) Although we will be fairly cramped, I am really excited to host the family Thanksgiving.

I have been trying to come up with a good menu. So far I have a pretty good one going on, but I still need some kind of vegetable. I want to make something fairly healthy since just about everything else is full of fat, carbs, and free radicals. So if you have a great recipe for a super scrumptious veggie dish that is healthy, please feel free to share it in the comments.

3 Comments:

Hmph. I'm a big fan of squash, which can be prepared rather simply. I also like whipped cauliflower "mashed potato" substitute for non-carb eaters. But allrecipes.com always has excellent suggestions, and I trust their rating system. 

Posted by Jennifer

7:49 PM  

Are you up for a mixed bean dish? And I don't mean the green-bean casserole! I have a favorite recipe from the Passionate Vegetarian that is a mix of a number of beans (pintos, white, dark, kidneys), onion, hominy (white), ro-tel, and cilantro (stems chopped)-- it's a great counterpoint to the regular, more bland foods of Thanksgiving because the cilantro gives it such a kick. It's one of my all-time faves! If you're interested, drop me a line and I'll send it on.  

Posted by Shelley

8:54 PM  

Jen-
I love squash too, and I am really curious about the whipped cauliflower. I am going to try that.

Shelley-
The recipe sounds delicious. It is very similar to my chili recipe. I will be trying that one too.

Thanks! 

Posted by Reeta

8:31 PM  

:
:
:

BloggerHacks

<< Home